Posted on 14 February 2013
Transcription is undeniably one of the most lucrative jobs and most businesses utilize these services on a daily basis. Transcription is essentially the conversion of an audio or video recording into written form. For the longest time, the medical and legal fields are the industries which greatly utilized transcription services but these days it is almost impossible to find a business which does not need these services during the course of their operations.
There are several challenges transcribers encounter and transcribing stutterers is amongst the list. Recordings with these speech quirks make it quite a task trying to accurately grasp what the speaker is saying. When working with recordings with speech quirks it is important to talk to the client and ask them how they would like you to approach the transcription. This will help you know how to work on the recording and it will also prevent misunderstandings when submitting the final work to the client. This also means saving on time which would be spent reworking the transcription in case the client does not accept it.
It is important to understand that stutters are of importance in certain fields and they should therefore be included in transcripts. However, certain clients may feel like the stutters are unnecessary and will ask you not to include them in the final transcript. Here is a brief guideline to help you as a transcriber effectively work on a recording with speech quirks.
- Note down exactly what the stutter says including the verbatim. This means that if they stutter a word write it out as they have said it and the exact number of times. If they stutter the word three as “th th th three” that is how you should note it down. This type of transcription is greatly used in the legal and research fields, because how the speaker says something is highly of importance as what they are actually saying.
- Another approach would be to write the transcription out without including any stutters. This means that you would only write out the message the transcriptionist was attempting to convey without including how they conveyed it. There are clients who will specifically ask you to exclude the stutter and only write the word the stutterer was conveying.
- The most common form of transcribing a stutter is using intelligent verbatim. In this case instead of noting down “th th th three,” you would note it down as “th three.” Similarly, there are clients who will ask for only the word being conveyed and not the stutter itself.
Posted on 09 March 2012
Conducting an interview transcription is usually a very simple task that can be done by anyone as long as they can listen as well as write the interview out. Transcription of the interviews can be done for personal or business purposes. This implies that it is possible to get companies that offer the transcription services. You have to learn the important guidelines that are used when you want to do the work on your own and it can be beneficial if you learn some of the shortcuts that will helps you finish thee work much faster.
Knowing the terminologies that have been used in the interviews is one of the best ways to make the work easier and simpler. The types of interviews conducted for various professions normally vary. These may include: legal, personal and business interviews. It is therefore important to be in the know how when it comes to the vocabulary that is likely to be used in the sessions. Better yet, you can have a list of these words that you will be making reference to when handling the transcription process. When working on a project from a company or business, you can ask them to give you a list of some of the vocabularies that may have been used when there work was transcribed before.
The equipment that you are using usually dictates the speed at which the transcribing process will take. It is highly recommended that you make use of high quality equipment that will help you transcribe the work effectively. Earphones used should high quality sound and they should also be able to control any type of external noise. In addition to this, it is advisable to get equipment that can be controlled with your feet. This way, your hands will be free to allow you to type the work fast.
Knowing all the important details of the interview also helps to make the process much easier. This will give you an idea of the words that you should not spend a lot of time on as well as the ones that need transcription. This helps to save on effort and time that is used while transcribing the projects. Always make sure that you go through work that has been done to make sure that it is perfect before handing it back to the client as this means that when they have more work they will consider you since you will be building a good name for yourself.
Posted on 09 March 2012
Conversion of audio files into text is what is referred to as the audio transcription process. The transcribed file is the output that is put into the designated use. There are a number of companies which specialize in this type of conversion and they offer transcribing services for recorded speeches, digital audio files, audio cassette tapes and dictations. These recordings are transcribed according to the client’s specifications to produce written texts in hard or soft copy format.
The conversion of files from audio to word format is a common need in the market. The complexity of conversion is increasing more with the technological advancement and introduction of the digital media. This technology has led to increase in the requirements when doing transcription. Professionals such as busy executives and lawyers now want their presentations transcribed accurately for future use.
In today’s world research papers and lectures are supposed to be converted into text on a word for word basis for use by students with hearing impairments. Universities have become a major client to the transcribers. The transcribed files are then stored for future reference which has made the audio transcription an important aspect that is applicable in many areas. They can be used in future by people with similar problems that which is why the transcription should be accurate.
Transcriptionists have customized services to cater for the needs of their clients. These services work on various forms of presentations including discussions, speeches, movie, reports, minutes, television serial or manuscript. They produce high quality output efficiently captures the content of various media platforms. These transcription companies often employ the expertise of professionals who are equipped with the skill and experience in converting audio files into text. It is vital to ensure that the confidentiality clause if present between the client and transcriptionist. This is because the files to be converted might be confidential or sensitive and should not be disclosed to third parties. The pricing should also be right in order to create a lasting relationship between the transcriptionist and the client.
A majority of the companies offering transcription services work through the following process:
- The client contacts them and they pick the clients details.
- A quotation is sent to the client.
- Payment is made
- The audio file is sent by the client
- The file is converted and the master transcribed file is sent to the client through email for approval
Posted on 09 March 2012
Have you ever been in a situation where a reporter came to you to try and have you give a brief description of the proceedings of a seminar several days after the seminar was conducted? Having short notes of a seminar is vital as having an investor make a call to you during the analyzing of the quarterly results of company. These short notes help you explain the information better and also give you a reference to back up your assertions.
Transcripts in seminars come in handy especially to people with impaired hearing. The transcripts also help people who are used to using visual aids instead of presentations in form of audio recordings. With this transcribed notes it is possible to comprehend the key areas of the presentation and also helps you recall the content of the material in a future date. Everyone understands the importance of transcribed material whether it is in finance, media, academia or medical fields.
The demand for seminar transcription services has grown in business as well as other organizations because they have realized the essence of having seminar notes .Seminars take a various forms but the most common ones are the ones chaired by a single or multiple speakers. It is important to determine whether the content of the transcription will capture the speaker’s content or whether it will also involve the interrelations between the people attending the seminar. The speaker’s speech should be well outlined so as to simplify the transcribing process when converting the speeches into text
The translation of multimedia files that were captures during the seminar into text is all what transcription entails. This text could take various formats that include a text document or PDF, Microsoft word format. These seminar transcriptions employ the expertise of quality controllers, transcriptionists, language experts, technicians and proof readers who combine efforts to produce high quality transcripts that are accurate and depict the exact speech, presentation or lecture that are dispensed in the seminar. Agendas should always be given by the organization facilitating the seminar and provision of the definitions to the terminologies being used. This information helps transcriptionists have an upper hand by understanding the terminologies being used in the seminar.
Documents prepared by seminar transcription firms are used in a myriad ways, not only as a reference database but the text can be reformatted in to books, articles or newsletters
The presentations made during the seminar are converted into transcripts that are used in numerous ways including being formatted into books, newsletters and articles. The material can then be used as reference databases.
Posted on 10 February 2012
Focus group discussions are a modern way of sharing discourse in order to listen to individual points of views on a given topic. The sessions may be educational or research-based discussions, where individuals come together in order to come up with the best solution to a problem.
How to prepare for a focus group discussion
There are a few things to keep in mind, in order to obtain the desired results from a group discussion.
- Location selection - You should to select a place with minimal disturbance such as a quiet room or out in an open field, preferably a place with shade from the scorching sun. This is aimed at providing a serene environment, to enhance the concentration of group members.
- Get a properly functioning microphone - The microphone you select should be configured for the occasion; some microphones tend to be too loud or inaudible which greatly affects the quality of the discussion.
- Turn off voice activation gadgets - Be sure to turn off all voice activated gadgets especially phones and laptops to avoid causing unnecessary disturbance.
- In case the group members are required to be identified; make sure that the discussion members introduce themselves to the other group members, before proceeding with the discussion session. This kind of interaction provides a platform for the transcriber to associate members with something they say. This is a very good advantage, because it gives basis for arguing and presenting varied points of view about the subject at hand.
- Referring to people by name is also important, to help group members get to know each other and it is also a good way to thank group members for their contribution in the discussion.
- It goes a long way to serve snacks and beverages during breaks, because the clanking of cups creates some noise; reducing the monotony of an extremely quiet discussion session.
- Group members should also be asked to switch off their phones, because these devices are likely to emit signals which interfere with microphones. Therefore, putting phones on silent or on vibration is not an option; all the phones should be switched off during the discussion session.
- Before you begin, it is wise to check that all the equipments are functioning properly. Use headphones to ensure that the microphones and speakers are working as required, to avoid causing a disturbance to the other group members.
- Provide detailed explanations to the transcriber about the nature of the discussion and profiles of the group members who will participate in the discussion, to help them get accustomed to technical terms constantly referred to during the discussion.
Also read focus group transcription