Recording research interviews is very important especially when it is being used for data analysis especially for academic researchers and postgraduate students. The interview recorded should be of high quality and clear so that all the contributions and comments can be accessed without a problem. Below you will find a list of some of the most effective things that can be done to achieve great recordings:
- Recording device- choosing the appropriate device should be the first step when coming up with high quality work thus you should choose the one that has all the features needed. Have in mind that this is an investment that can be used beyond the research. Pick one that has various quality recording settings, enough memory capacity, variety of time formats that are used to save data and high speed file transfer from the device to your PC.
- Microphone position and type- for multiple speaker recordings and interview transcription, it is advisable to use an external microphone rather than one that has been built in. There are some devices that can either be used with omni- directional mics placed on a tripod while others have mics that can be detached. One of the best practices is to have 2 interviewees share a mic. Before kicking off test the sound levels, position and the recording device.
- Environmental noise- venue of the interview should be chosen carefully having in mind aspects that may bring in background noise like high ceilings and hard wood floors among many others. Mobile phones should be switched off and windows closed to drown noise from outside. Refreshments should be served before or after the interview and you should also be on the lookout for coughing /sneezing, shuffling of papers etc as they can interrupt with the recordings.
- Briefing and introduction of interviewees- this is where they get to know all the things that should or should not be done during the interview to make sure that the recording is a success. They should start conversations with their names spelled pout clearly so that they can be recorded with ease.
- Uploading and saving of files- data should be kept safe and you should also have backup copies in case anything happens to one copy.
- Use of transcription services- only choose the ones that are reputable company that has been in the business for a long time to get the best services in the market.
- Decide on layout and format: this ensures you get the project the exact way you want it.
More on interview transcription